School Mission and SBS Facts
The Stony Brook School is an independent college preparatory school (grades 7-12) that exists to challenge young men and women to know Jesus Christ as Lord, to love others as themselves, and to grow in knowledge and skill, in order that they may serve the world through their character and leadership.
Founded in 1922 with the motto “Character Before Career,” The Stony Brook School seeks to educate students in matters of the mind, body, and heart. Students are challenged to become leaders with integrity and virtue; character development is considered an essential component of the educational process. While students are presented with the gospel of Jesus Christ, they are free to maintain their personal spiritual beliefs.
SBS Facts (2013-2014 School Year)
- 332 students enrolled
- Student-faculty ratio is 8:1
- Average class size is 14
- Each class meets 4 times a week for a total of 220 minutes
- 13 states represented
- 22 foreign countries represented
- Typically, 100% of seniors proceed to college or university
- 44 faculty hold 22 masters degrees and 1 doctorate degree
- Facilities include 7 single-sex dorms, 5 science laboratories, 2 computer labs, and a library with 20,259 volumes, and subscriptions to 42 print magazines and 42 online databases
- Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and chartered by the University of the State of New York.
- Memberships are held with the CEEB, NAIS, NYSAIS, NACAC, TABS, and CASE, as well as a chapter of The Cum Laude Society.